My People, Please add yourself!

Tuesday 24 August 2010

Open Racism



Today I went to the post office to post a copy of Lime Magazine to my Uncle I was in it recently talking about my natural hair. Anyway behind me there was a man, he was about 40 wearing a pin striped suit he had gone grey and looked like he was visiting during his lunch break. He was with another woman who looked like she was from the office.

He said to the woman “Did you hear on the news this morning, Israel might bomb (and I didn’t hear the country name but I think he said Palestine)” She didn’t reply but then he went on “Yeah I wish they would, I wish we could drop a bomb on all those countries we need to get rid of all the Muslims the (insert derogatory name for people from Pakistan here) the (insert derogatory name for people living in Japan here) and all of those (insert a derogatory name for black people here).

The woman went bright red and suddenly found something interesting on her phone to look at and said “I don’t want to talk about this right now”

I could not believe what I was hearing! All the people from behind the counter were the people that he was saying he needed to get rid of. I wanted to turn around and cuss him big time but I had to be better than that and they had not heard him so only I was offended.

I turned around and got one good look at him so I will always know who it was, smiled and put my angry fists in my pockets.

It was sad when I saw him go up to the Muslim girl behind the counter and say “Hi darling, how are you? Having a good day?”

I really hate people like this.

6 comments:

♥ CG ♥ said...

Ignorance abounds, but kudos to you for taking the high road.

12kyle said...

I'd be lying if i said i was suprised. Ignorance is everywhere

Unknown said...

You should've asked the bright red girl nicely, "Do you agree with that?" Then when she was too embarrassed to answer, tell him, "You might be alone in his thoughts." And walk away:)

Angel +1, Asshole 0

Don't give assholes the satisfaction of arguing with them - just mentally toy with them. You did right by not arguing...

Unknown said...

Been long I was here.. Hope you good? Take care dear..

Robyn.K.Y said...

Inside men Lies Cruelty.waiting for day to come fourth.I face issues of racism each and every day...considering where i am currently satying on this planet.But at times there is this other side of the same people that is worth embracing.Been Long.

Reggie said...

Not really surprising, though I wish it was. That's why I always say, the more I know people, the more I like roaches.

Once years ago I went to a fastfood restaurant for lunch. There were five or six old men sitting together drinking coffee and talking about politics. All of a sudden one of the old gentlemen said "hell Hitler was one of my heroes, he was doing God's work killing those Hebs". Another one said "yeah he was and we should have dropped 42 atom bombs on those Nips instead of 2." I was stunned to hear those old men talking like that. I so wanted to point out to him that we only had 2 atom bombs at that point, but would it have really mattered? How hateful some people can be......and they probably refer to themselves as Christian men too.